Thank you for participating in our poll. Here are the results so far:
13 things to know about Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th woes are linked to Jesus of Nazareth's crucifixion. Scholars say Jesus was killed on a Friday. His betrayer, Judas, was the 13th guest to the Last Supper.
Thirteen was the sacred number of the Mayans inhabiting the Yucatan peninsula.
Troubled lunar mission Apollo 13 blasted off at 13:13 CST on April 11, 1970.
The machete is the weapon of choice of Jason Voorhees, the main character in the 'Friday the 13th' film series. (Source: Lesea Broadcasting)
Famed rapper Tupac passed away on Friday, Sept. 13, 1996.
(RNN) - Today is the third of three Friday the 13ths to occur during 2012.
On the previous two Fridays the 13th this year, the Costa Concordia cruise ship sank off the coast of Italy in January and North Korea tried to launch a satellite in April.
You may be one of the more than 17 million Americans who have a dreaded fear of this recurring day.
But even if you try to hide, will you truly be safe when a masked Jason Voorhees comes knocking at your door with his signature machete in hand?
Or are you one of the brave who laughs in the face of any impending doom that may occur?
Decide for yourself as you read these 13 facts about Friday the 13th:
1. The day of the week the 13th most often falls on is a Friday.
2. As many as 21 million Americans fear Friday the 13th, according to the North Carolina Stress Management Center and Phobia Institute in Asheville, NC. The fear of Friday the 13th is known as "paraskevidekatriaphobia." Experts like Dr. Donald Dossey say the phobia can be cured simply by learning to pronounce it.
3. Disdain for Friday the 13th is primarily linked to the Bible. Scholars say Jesus was crucified on a Friday. Judas, his betrayer, arrived as the 13th guest to the Last Supper meal. Friday and 13 are also linked to the two great sins in the Bible's Old Testament. Adam is said to have eaten the forbidden fruit on a Friday. His son Cain is believed to have murdered Abel on a Friday the 13th.
4. Thirteen's poor luck may have come about because it falls after the number 12, which numerologists view as a complete number, Dr. Thomas Fernsler told National Geographic. There are many famous 12s, including the 12 apostles, 12 tribes of Israel and 12 signs of the zodiac. The list goes on.
5. There are many age-old superstitions that surround Friday the 13th, according to Time. One says a family member will die as the result of cutting your hair.
6. Builders have a strong contempt for the number 13. Of the world's high rises, more than 80 percent lack a 13th floor, according to the National Geographic. The number is also frequently omitted from hospital and hotel rooms, streets and airline aisles and gates, according to the Huffington Post.
7. Italians apparently also dislike the number 13. It has been excluded from the Italian national lottery, the Huffington Post reports. Also, homes between the numbers 12 and 14 are addressed 12 1/2, according to the International Business Times.
8. The number 13 is often blamed for the misfortunes of Apollo 13 mission. The crew's liftoff occurred at 13:13 CST, according to NASA records. On April 13th, the mission was dealt a crippling blow when its No. 2 oxygen tank exploded. Jim Lovell, the crew's commander, saw the gas leaking out into space 13 minutes after the blast.
9. The 13th tarot card is appropriately named "Death." The card traditionally shows a skeleton riding a horse.
10. Famed rapper Tupac died on Friday, Sept. 13, 1996. To this day, sightings of the recording artist continue. Jason, the fictional villain of the Friday the 13th movie series, was also killed on Friday the 13th and walks among the undead.
11. Civil War veteran William Fowler formed New York's famed "Thirteen Club" in 1880 with the goal of improving the number's image, according to History.com. Five presidents - Chester Arthur, Grover Cleveland, Benjamin Harrison, William McKinley and Theodore Roosevelt - were among the club's membership, which exceed 400, according to Time.
12. Friday the 13th will occur at least once a year but never more than thrice. This year there are three Friday the 13ths, the previous two of which occurred in January and April. Perhaps the Mayans were right when they predicted the end of the world in 2012?
13. Appropriately, 13 was the sacred number of the Mayans inhabiting the Yucatan peninsula. "The days, years and ages were counted by periods of 13 numbers," John Lloyd Stevens noted in his famous Incidents of Travel in Yucatan.
Those afraid of Friday the 13th will have a little breather - the next one doesn't occur until September 2013.
Copyright 2012 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved. Sources: History.com, Huffington Post, International Business Times, National Geographic, National Public Radio, NASA.
Friday, May 24 2013 6:51 PM EDT2013-05-24 22:51:11 GMT
(RNN) – When faced with a cleaver-wielding killer who'd just murdered someone, what would you do? For Ingrid Loyau-Kennet, the answer was obvious. Instead of running for her life, she engaged him inMore >>
A British woman voluntarily put herself face-to-face with an alleged terrorist and may have saved lives. More >>
Friday, May 24 2013 4:18 PM EDT2013-05-24 20:18:48 GMT
The American Red Cross is accepting donations to aid in their response. Donations can be made a www.redcross.org or by texting REDCROSS to 90999. To donate $10 to the Salvation Army, text 80888 or visitMore >>
Here are ways to help victims of the Moore, OK tornado.More >>
Friday, May 24 2013 4:38 AM EDT2013-05-24 08:38:10 GMT
(RNN) - A bridge in Washington has collapsed and at least two cars are in the water, according to KING 5 TV out of Seattle. The bridge is part of Interstate 5. There is no word on injuries. Copyright 2013More >>
A photo from the scene showed a man sitting on top of his car, which was partially submerged.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 8:39 PM EDT2013-05-24 00:39:42 GMT
The list of the names is a part of rotating lists of names. For example, the list used in 2012 is used in 2018. Each storm will be named alphabetically. The lists of names are chosen by World MeteorologicalMore >>
The names for the 2013 North Atlantic hurricane season.More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 7:00 PM EDT2013-05-23 23:00:33 GMT
The story of Zach Sobiech, an 18-year-old who succumbed to osteosarcoma, a rare form of bone cancer, on Monday, is touching hearts and changing the way people look at their time on Earth. Sobiech wasMore >>
The story of Zach Sobiech, a cancer patient who made it his mission to spread the joy of living to anyone he came in contact with, is continuing to inspire others after his death. More >>
Thursday, May 23 2013 11:55 AM EDT2013-05-23 15:55:08 GMT
(RNN) - Dozens of Cleveland restaurants have pledged to give the man who rescued three Ohio women from captivity, free burgers for life. Charles Ramsey, the guy who famously stopped eating his Big MacMore >>
More than a dozen of Cleveland restaurants have pledged to give the man who rescued three Ohio women from captivity, free burgers for life.More >>
Wednesday, May 22 2013 9:38 PM EDT2013-05-23 01:38:14 GMT
MOORE, OK - The trembling, mud-spattered dog whose photo went viral on Tuesday was not actually standing watch over her owner's body - her name is Susie, her owner is named Curtis Collins, and he's alive.ThanksMore >>
There's a happy ending to the story of the little dog who was found standing guard over a body after the EF-5 tornado that decimated her neighborhood in Moore, OK. Her owner is alive, and they have been reunited thanks to the viral photo. More >>
Wednesday, May 22 2013 9:32 PM EDT2013-05-23 01:32:31 GMT
ORLANDO, FL (RNN) – A man with possible ties to a Boston Marathon bombing suspect was shot and killed after the FBI interviewed him early Wednesday. The FBI confirmed a special agent fatally shot a manMore >>
A man killed Wednesday during questioning by the FBI said he and Boston bombing suspect Tamerlan Tsarnaev were accomplices in a 2011 slaying. More >>